Help pick a subtitle
When it comes to nonfiction books, the title and subtitle are almost as important as the contents of the book. A good title/subtitle combination can’t guarantee a best seller, but a bad title/subtitle combo can certainly sink a good book. After much deliberation, I have settled on the book title Spiral. I like it because it refers not only to the upset of TWA 841 and a number of similar rollover accidents, but it can also be applied to the actual investigation and the lives of the crewmembers. But this title alone doesn’t say anything about what the book is about. This is where the subtitle comes in.
For the past two-and-a-half years my working subtitle has been Spiral: The Hoot Gibson Story and The Mystery of TWA 841. As I get closer to publication. I need to make sure that I have the right subtitle. Below is a poll that allows you to vote on a subtitle. But before I get to the poll, there are a few things you should know about subtitles. The most important role of the subtitle is to provide the reader a clear indication of what the book is about. If possible, a subtitle should have one or more keywords related to the subject matter. A good subtitle should make the reader want to read the book.
So with those goals in mind, here are a few ideas. Which subtitle do you thing best meets the above criteria? (Have a better suggestion? Use the comments section.)
Which subtitle do you think is best?
- Spiral: The Hoot Gibson Story and The Mystery of TWA 841 (80%, 41 Votes)
- Spiral: Boeing, The NTSB, and One Pilot's Decades Long Battle to Clear His Name (12%, 6 Votes)
- Spiral: The Mystery of TWA 841 (4%, 2 Votes)
- Spiral: How Boeing and The NTSB Wrongly Accused an Airline Crew of Causing A Near Fatal Crash (2%, 1 Votes)
- Spiral: The True Story of an NTSB Investigation Gone Awry (2%, 1 Votes)
- Spiral: The True Story of an Airline Crew Wrongly Blamed for Causing a Near Fatal Crash (0%, 0 Votes)
- Spiral: Boeing, The NTSB, and an Airline Crew Falsely Accused of Causing a Near Fatal Crash (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 51